Indoor Electrical Safety

Protect your family against accidental electrical contact/shock by observing the following indoor electrical safety practices. When using electricity around the house:

  1. Do not overload electrical outlets.
  2. Install Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter (GFCI)* outlets in the kitchen, bathroom, outdoor receptacles, and other water access areas.
  3. Do not place electrical appliances near water holding and water storage areas.
  4. Place safety covers on all unused wall outlets.
  5. Use proper wattage when replacing burned-out bulbs for lamps and lighting fixtures to prevent overheating and risk of fire.
  6. Replace burned-out light bulbs immediately, never leave lamp sockets empty.
  7. Use an adapter with a ground tab for a three-pronged plug. Never attempt to remove the third prong.
  8. Avoid extension cords as a permanent means for wiring. Extension cords should be used only on a temporary basis.
  9. Do not connect multiple extension cords.
  10. Never run extension cords underneath rugs, carpets, or furniture. Walking on cords can lessen the durability of the cord and possibly cause a fire.
  11. Replace faulty electrical products.
  12. Never leave small appliances such as hair dryers, curling irons, toasters, radios and TV’s within the reach of small children and pets.
  13. Never use a fork or knife to remove food objects from a toaster.
  14. Keep heating pads and electric blankets at relatively low settings to avoid overheating, never “tuck in” the sides or ends of an electric blanket.

* GFCI (Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter) is a sensitive device which reacts to a small electric current leak by stopping the flow of electricity.