POSITION: Apprentice Line Technician
REPORTS TO: Line Crew Leader
EFFECTIVE DATE: 09-07-2022
PURPOSE OF POSITION:
To receive on-the-job training and mandatory structured training courses and experience for performing line service maintenance and construction functions.
MINIMUM JOB SPECIFICATIONS:
The following requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health and safety of themselves or other employees.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Requires High School Diploma/Equivalent. Requires a minimum of one year experience in supervised line construction functions. Requires ability to pass Apprentice Line Technician skills test.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS:
Requires knowledge of the principles and practices in line construction service and operations and maintenance requirements in an electric distribution system; ability to read and interpret staking sheets, all RUS specifications and line construction assemblies; the NEC and National Electric Safety Code. Requires ability to interpret the Cooperative’s electrical and mechanical tagging and other numbering systems; the layout of electrical transmission and distribution lines. Requires ability to be knowledgeable of Hart EMC’s policies and procedures. Requires excellent verbal and interpersonal skills to effectively interact with members; flexibility to work varied hours. Requires the ability to maintain current American Red Cross Standard First Aid and Adult CPR certification administered by the Cooperative.
DRIVER’S LICENSE, EMPLOYMENT ENTRANCE EXAMINATION, DRUG SCREEN, RESIDENCY:
Requires the ability to obtain and maintain a valid Georgia Driver’s License. Requires a valid Georgia Commercial Class A Driver’s License and a DOT Medical Card. Requires the ability to successfully pass Hart EMC’s employment entrance examination and drug screen. Requires residency within Hart EMC’s service area.
Field work with exposure to adverse elements of weather; strenuous physical work, including heavy lifting; requires flexibility to work overtime on short notice; flexibility to work during emergency situations. Requires physical ability in climbing, balancing, stooping, pushing, crouching, crawling, reaching, standing, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, fingering, grasping, feeling, talking, hearing, and defined very heavy work. Visual acuity required as machine operator (b) and as mobile equipment operators (c). Adverse weather conditions include defined (b), (c), (d), (e), (f), (g), (h), (i) and (j).
Internal: Two-way communication with the immediate supervisor on work related plans and approvals; with crew and other personnel.
External: Demonstrates an awareness that the job exists to effectively serve each and every member, and at every opportunity, to achieve increased member and public understanding for support of the Cooperative.
HART ELECTRIC MEMBERSHIP CORPORATION
APPRENTICE LINE TECHNICIAN
The following are the essential duties and performance standards of this position. The essential duties do not include marginal functions that are incidental to the performance of fundamental job duties. The scope and duties of a given position may change or be temporarily altered based on the business needs of Hart EMC. This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an “at will” employment relationship.
The Apprentice Line Technician:
- Provides assistance to the Line Crew, as instructed.
- Safely operates and maintains company cars, trucks and other equipment.
- Ensures that assigned trucks, tools and working equipment are properly used and kept in good
working condition and that any required repairs are promptly reported to the immediate
- Performs the following line duties under close supervision and as assigned:
- Assists with and makes all types of single and polyphase transformer installations, rephasing
and phase rotation on polyphase circuits.
- Installing, moving, and removeing transformers, secondaries, service drops, poles, conductors,
capacitors, regulators or any other line equipment.
- Assists with installing or removeing instrument transformers, recording or indicating meters of all types; makes load and voltage tests.
- Patrols transmission and distribution lines; operates and maintains related equipment;
distribution and transmission switching, sectionizing and fusing.
- Properly operates radio equipment.
- Submits time, mileage, material charge-outs and credit-ins; other required forms.
- Performs the following staking and line layout duties, as assigned and under close supervision.
- Reads staking sheets, all RUS specifications and line construction assemblies;
the NESC and National Electric Safety code.
- Reads the Cooperative’s electrical and mechanical tagging and other numbering systems;
the layout of electrical transmission and distribution lines.
- Ensures safety awareness and the maintenance of safety standards for self and fellow Line
- Maintains current knowledge of Hart EMC’s safety regulations and ensures compliance.
- Maintains current American Red Cross Standard First Aid and Adult CPR certification
administered by the Cooperative.
- Maintains compliance with traffic laws, safety rules and regulations.
- Ensures compliance with Federal motor carrier regulations and state DOT/Public Service
- Ensures that assigned vehicles and equipment are operated and maintained in accordance with
safety procedures, operator’s manual and state law.
- Successfully continues with the Northwest Lineman College Program.
In addition to performing the essential duties of the position, the Apprentice Line Technician:
- Interpersonal Skills
- Demonstrates effective employee relations skills when interacting with other personnel
without regard to race, sex, disability, national origin, color, religion, age, or veteran status.
- Maintains a professional and courteous manner.
- Participation, teamwork, and an open and cohesive work environment are supported.
- Attendance and Promptness
- Reports to work at designated time and has regular acceptable attendance.
- Provides availability for extra duty as required.
- Volunteers for overtime when needed.
- Work Quality
- Accurately and thoroughly performs job duties.
- Completes work with a minimum or no errors.
- Evaluates and considers results of job responsibilities.
- Business Appearance
- Dresses appropriately for the position based on Cooperative standards.
- Job Effectiveness
- Demonstrates self-motivation.
- Demonstrates effective planning and organizing skills.
- Effectively sets priorities and performs in an efficient manner.
- Completes primary job functions without duplication of efforts.
- Demonstrates self-discipline without supervision.
- Self-Development/Technical Knowledge and Skills
- Demonstrates current technical job knowledge and skills for effective performance of position
- Progresses in previously communicated performance improvement.
- Demonstrates initiative to acquire additional knowledge for effective job performance.
- Effective Communication
- Demonstrates proficient oral and written communication skills.
- Demonstrates effective listening skills prior to taking action.
- Communicates to supervisor in all matters which affect their duties.
- Effectively learns and accepts the Cooperative’s practices, concepts, policies, and procedures.
- Decision Making
- Analyzes all factors and alternatives prior to reaching conclusions.
- Performs in a timely manner for effective results.
- Demonstrates accountability for difficult decision-making.
- Demonstrates excellent stress and pressure skills if confronted with temporary setbacks.
- Safety Awareness
- Establishes and maintains acceptable safety standards.
- Maintains current knowledge of Cooperative’s safety regulations and evaluation of personal
- Performs in accordance with established safe working environment.
- Actively participates in department safety meetings.
- Job ID
- September 21, 2022
- October 05, 2022