In the 1930’s electrification was a dream for most rural residents of Hart, Stephens, Franklin, Madison, Banks, and Elbert Counties. Their dream was realized when Hart County EMC’s charter was obtained on November 20, 1937. The first Hart County EMC board meeting was held December 4, 1937. In 1938, the first 123 miles were built at a total cost of $100,000. In the following months and years up to the beginning of World War II, the cooperative continued to expand its services. In 1948, ten years after the first electric lines were energized; the cooperative had invested well over $1,000,000 to build 1,155 miles of line to bring electric service to 5,232 members. Due to the continued growth and expansion, in 1956, the Hart County EMC moved into its new facilities on the Elberton Highway in Hartwell, Georgia. In 1971, the cooperative purchased a warehouse in Toccoa, Georgia. This property addition helped the cooperative to better serve the consumers in the northern part of our service area. Today we continue to serve members in 6 counties, with over 35,000 meters. While keeping our members’ needs at the forefront of our mission, we strive daily to provide the most reliable, affordable power available. Although technology has revolutionized our industry, our service and dedication remains the same as those that had the initial vision to bring power to our rural communities. “The night the lights came on” was often recorded as a high moment in people’s lives, an important date, ranking with marriages and births as a day to cherish – as a day when visions and dreams became a reality. To learn more about our history, click here for a detailed history.